Of course, we all like rocket, but… what else could we add about this fantastic technology?
What are the main applications of Rocket Propulsion Systems?
- Launch vehicles:
- Core propulsion, Booster, Upper stage propulsion, Separation rockets
- Civilian sub-orbital applications (other than ballistic missiles)
- Space tourism, rapid delivery
- Space applications
- Orbit transfer (GTO to GEO transfer)
- In space propulsion (main propulsion system, planetary landing, orbit insertion)
- Attitude control systems
- Military applications
- Ballistic missiles, Tactical weapon systems, Target drones
- Aircraft thrust augmentation
- Sounding rockets
- Scientific, Educational, Amateur
- Crew escape systems
When talking about launch systems, the propulsion system constitutes a significant fraction of any launch system in terms of Mass, Cost, and Failures. The Rocket propulsion is essential to achieve the mission and reduce the cost of accessing the space.
As a rocket engineer/ scientist, what do you need to know?
Rocket propulsion is a very interdisciplinary field.
Some of the essential fields are:
- Fluid dynamics/gas dynamics
- Chemistry, Thermodynamics, Combustion
- Advanced Physics (Nuclear physics, Electromagnetic theory, Magnetoplasmadynamics, Particle physics)
- Structures, Material science
- Thermal protection
- Flight dynamics, Trajectories
- Components (Valves, turbopumps etc)
- Testing methods, instrumentation
- Dynamic systems, stability of dynamic systems
We recommend you: Dereum Labs together with the AEM in GLEC2022